Ugh, the API for selling on Jet.com as just as bad as the Walmart API.
At least Jet has a test environment unlike Walmart. That would be an improvement – if it worked. It doesn’t:
- While you can upload items to the test API, it just tells if you they uploaded or not. It doesn’t actually show you what the item is going to look like on Jet.
- Items that upload just fine in the test environment can suddenly have errors when uploading to the live environment. For example, the test environment does not enforce image requirements that the live environment does.
- You are required to mark an item as Published on the live system. This function does not work on the test system. Don’t spend a lot of time trying to figure out why your Publish API call does not work. It’s not you, it’s them.
- The test system will let you upload an item without any pricing. You might think then that this is allowed in the live system. It’s not.
- You can, at least, create test orders in Jet and import them. That’s a big improvement over Walmart.
The biggest problem with Jet though is speed. They only update their portal once per day. Want to know if your price change worked? If your uploaded order is available for purchase? If your quantity change worked? You have to wait 24 hours to see if any of your changes in the portal. Funny, they require us to accept orders within 15 minutes, but only update us once a day.
If that wasn’t bad enough, it can take up to 72 hours for Jet to accept a new item. When you first upload it, Jet puts it in a limbo called “Under Review”. You have to wait and see if it makes it out or not. And, compounding the badness of this, if there is something wrong with what you uploaded, it will sit there in limbo forever. And, even badder badder, there is NO error reporting to tell you what happened. It just sits there. You have to open a ticket with customer support, after waiting 72 hours, and ask why your item, that uploaded just fine in the test system, is being rejected by the live system. Maybe they get back to you in a day or two. Then you fix the problem, upload the item,… and wait another 72+ hours to see if the fix worked.